5 Things Coaching Softball Means to Me
On facebook I asked people to finish the sentence, “A coach is…”
There were quite a few good responses that included:
- …someone who treats you like their own child.
- …a bigger influence on a player than one might think.
- The temporary parent of 10-15 girls, with all the same imperfections as a parent and the same ability to influence, sometimes for a season, sometimes for a lifetime.
…a teacher of many life lessons on and off the softball field.
- …a source from which to learn.
- …a mentor.
- …a role model.
- …someone who does all the above and loves it.
- …a human being who transforms a group of players into a team!
- …(in fastpitch) a person who teaches girls how to play, competitively.
- …a person who teaches, supports, and builds young people into adults who understand that sometimes things/situations/skills are often difficult but have the confidence to persevere, win or lose.
- …all the above but in Rec. ball and Travel a VOLUNTEER!!!!! who does the best they can and makes mistakes too…
I have a few more thoughts to share with you including 5 things coaching softball means to me plus my ending to that sentence:
- Coaching softball means putting the best interests of your players/team ahead of your own.
- Coaching softball means making each decision based upon what you honestly believe is best for the team, not only for today, but for long term as well.
- Coaching softball means understanding that the easy way out now rarely takes you closer to where you ultimately want to be down the road.
- Coaching softball means being able to stand up for what you believe in both when no one will know and under the highest scrutiny.
- But most of all, coaching softball means selflessly serving others while guiding them toward success and helping them reach their biggest goals and dreams.
So for me, A coach is…
…someone who selflessly serves others while guiding them toward success and helping them achieve their goals.
What do you think? What does coaching softball mean to you?